Dr Panjabrao Deshmukh Memorial Medical College and the Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology came into existence in the year 1984. The department is located in the main building of the College. The department provides educational services for the Second year M.B.B.S. students in the subjects of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology. Department provides a favourable environment for conducting scientific research, which has beneficial practical outcomes.
In addition to teaching and research activities, the department of Forensic Medicine also renders services to the community by conducting different activities like examining and opining on all types of Medico-legal cases, as and when demanded by the concerned agencies.
Our objective is not only to provide the above-mentioned services but to exceed expectations of students, patients and law enforcement agencies. An illustrious history of the last 35 years which were devoted to the welfare of the populace of Amravati and western Vidarbha region are a benchmark in the Indian healthcare sector and is duly appreciated by the people.
To enable the future healthcare providers to: Shoulder the responsibility of providing quality medical care to the society, without infringing the virtuous medical ethics and medical code of conduct.
To enable the future healthcare providers to: Acquire knowledge of laws in relation to medical practice.
To make them capable of: Making observations and inferring conclusions by logical deduction.
To make them capable of: Setting enquiries on the right track in criminal matters and associated medico-legal problems.
To make them capable of: Facilitating the Law enforcement agencies and the Judiciary in criminal investigations and implementation of justice.
Salient features 1. Sections/ divisions/ branches:
Clinical forensic medicine-- Department has number of wet mounted specimens and other clinical material like weapons, models as per norms of Medical Council of India.
Toxicology: Department has a toxicology section where various toxins are securely displayed for student with charts.
Department is located in the beautiful college building. It is spacious, with a practical laboratory, demonstration room, library cum seminar room, well set museum, office and rooms for staff and shared air-conditioned lecture hall. Department is spread over area of about 500 square meters. Numerous specimens, bones, skiagrams, photographs, weapons, models, charts, poisons, etc are on display. There is a well-equipped laboratory as per the curriculum for Undergraduate course.
|1.||Professor & Head||18sq. mt.|
|2.||Associate Prof./ Reader||15sq.mt.|
|5.||Non – teaching and Clerical staff||12sq.mt.|
|6.||Library cum Seminar room||30sq.mt.|
|9.||Forensic Medicine Laboratory||150sq.mt.|
3) Facilities for students: Well-equipped museum with catalogues, audio-visual teaching equipment, experienced teachers and rich departmental and central library are the main attractions for the students.
4) Facilities/ Services for the patients: Medicolegal services are offered when demanded by concerned agencies.
5) Facilities for staff: comfortable working conditions, individual room, and co-operative administration makes working a pleasure. Discounted healt facilities for staff and their family members. Co-operative bank in premises for financial assistance. Accommodation for the staff (who need it) in campus. Administrative support and encouragement for research work.
6) Any special feature unique to the department:
Department extends its medicolegal expertise to Government District Hospital when demanded.
7) Community services provided by the department:
Department is actively involved in investigation and review of medicolegal disputes like negligence etc. in the district of Amravati.
8) Remark of Head of the Department:
Department strives to motivate the students to be the best healthcare providers who are compassionate, rational, knowledgeable and fearless.